(Click on the image for a larger view)
Arundel town is a major bridging point over the River Arun as it was the lowest road bridge until the opening of the Littlehampton swing bridge in 1908. Arundel Castle was built by the Normans to protect that vulnerable fairly wooded plain to the north of the valley through the South Downs. The town later grew up on the slope below the castle to the south.
For such an ancient town, the post office building unfortunately isn’t as old as it looks, and was built around 1895, by the Norfolk estate architect W. Heveningham, with a red brick ground floor and half-timbered, many-gabled upper floor. It does however, act as a frontispiece to the town when approached from the south-east, leading the eye up to the castle on the skyline.